Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Another hike - another Geo cache

Camp is on a switch over day, so it is like a holiday - only feeding seven tables of eight people each, for lunch and supper. So this morning I prepared breakfast for 148 hungry campers and staff and then grill cheese sandwiches and left over fish burgers to our remaining people for lunch and made two and half pans of lasagna for supper with Caesar salad - muffins for desert. Doing all this I made plans to go search for a Geo - cache to keep my streak going. this means climbing - I am barely recovered from my last hike - yes I am still feeling sore... 

Oh well Noni and I went for a hike up the Smoke Bluff's of Squamish - I had some doubts - that turned out to be well founded - about finding this cache. A lot of the logs were posted as Did not find - or were stating wrong coordinates.. And -- I have found a couple of this person other caches - they were off but I did find them... so I had some hope. 
So I loaded the GPS with the coordinates and set off to try my luck on two of his hidden caches. Cache one Catch Your Breath - I found the general area - I searched for a long time - high and low. The hint was useless - coordinates are off and I did not find it. That sucks..... 
I spent too much time looking before I finally gave up and moved to the second cache, also from the same person - Labour Of Love - well this cache trail head was right in front of my car up the trail 657 feet, and of course it was up hill - or I should say up the mountain. I had my doubts -- but nevertheless I had to go search - success or failure I had to try. Well up I went Noni tagging along most of the way - then she stopped and told me to go on ahead she would wait. So I did. 
My body was letting me know it was not so happy about this - but mind over matter .. or in my case plain stubbornness -- I was going to search as long as possible. 
Well this cache is placed on a corner of the trail -- so the GPS went feet indicator smaller then larger- I had to do some triangulation and narrowed it down - was just about to give up when I spotted a blue colored container tucked in between a crack of a log and rock. This made me happy ... 
So I signed the log book and headed back to join Noni - then to Tim Horton's or a coffee and then back to camp to cook supper. 
PSS - this time I wore the proper short pants ..... 
-- and I do use hiking poles - usually only one - today I used two because I knew I would be descending and this causes pain in my knees and I don't like pain.. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment